LAKE SEBU: The Mystical Eden of South Cotabato

I had the great opportunity to be among the few invitees of the SoCCSKSargen Experience (SEX) Tour organized by the SoCCSKSargen Bloggers. The team is led by the award winning blogger Avel Manansala. SoCCSKSargen is comprised by four provinces and one component city in Mindanao namely South Cotabato, Cotabato (formerly known as North Cotabato), Sultan Kudarat, Saranggani and General Santos City. The SEX Tour aims to promote the beauty of SoCCSKSargen and help spread news about the many wonderful tourist attractions in the region. One of the most visited towns frequented by both local and foreign tourists in the Region is the mystical town of Lake Sebu located in the Province of South Cotabato. I would say, one of the best part of this event.
It was not my first time visiting Lake Sebu. I was there way back 2001. So this recent visit I had is my second after ten long years. I was very excited during the 2 hour travel from General Santos City to Lake Sebu. It’s like reuniting myself to a long lost friend after 10 long years. The greeneries of the countryside added drama to my travel. It was surreal.
Approaching Lake Sebu, I can feel the cultural landscape and the heritage of the land. True enough, Lake Sebu is very mystical. A place isolated from the urban living yet offers an immense life communing with culture and nature.

CULTURE. Lake Sebu is home to the T’boli’s, a highland tribe that has its roots in South Cotabato. The T’bolis take pride of their very rich culture that has been preserved and practiced even to this day.
T’bolis are best known for their exceptional skills in weaving. They called their produce made out of weaving as T’nalak which has gained good reputation all over the country. Some of its great dream weavers were even invited to different places in and outside of the Philippines to showcase their excellent weaving skills.

The T’bolis are also known for exemplary works on metal crafting. Excellent metal works such as musical instruments, swords, women accessories, and other ornamental items are proofs to their admirable metal craftsmanship.
Photo Courtesy By Orman Manansala

Photo Courtesy By Orman Manansala
The T’bolis are also great wood carvers. Every single wooden collectibles ranging from bracelets, necklaces, beads and other accessories are great works of T’boli people. Without a doubt, the Tboli Tribe is rich in culture and certainly one of the most colorful in the Philippines.
Photo Courtesy By Marky Romane Go
Photo Courtesy By: Marz Fernandez Bendol
NATURE. Nature abounds the tranquil Eden of Lake Sebu. For nature loving souls, this peaceful town is a perfect retreat. The lakes themselves are considered as precious gifts to the T’bolis. But the local tribesmen consider the Lake not only God given food basket but also a miraculous body of water that never dries up.
Lake Sebu is not all about its mystic Lakes. It is the home of the Seven Waterfalls I used to call Seven Wonderfalls of Lake Sebu, a grandeur beauty of nature that will truly put every visitor at awe. There is T’daan Kini Waterfalls situated in isolated lushes of the town. Slowly, Lake Sebu has grown into a perfect haven for nature seekers. There are now plenty of resorts built to cater the rapid demand of tourism in the town but built in accordance to the specifications of Local Environment Law and Tourism Office.
T'Daan Kini Falls
One of the Seven Falls
The stream in T'daan Kini
The Green and Cool Trek
At Lake Sebu, it is noteworthy to realize that man, nature and culture blend together as perfect one. An ideal example that the three can exist together in harmony and great shape. Truly, Lake Sebu has become South Cotabato’s tourism hub. It is becoming a popular destination not just in SocCCKSarGen region but probably in the entire country but people are united there to protect and keep the culture and nature intact and well preserved in spite of tourism and the call of the modern world.
With that, LAKE SEBU is truly the mystical Eden of South Cotabato.

WATCH OUT FOR: The Seven Wonderfalls of Lake Sebu.

April 2, 2011 at 12:11 AM delete

gosh! it's so nice here. i want to visit there. love the scenery.

April 2, 2011 at 11:47 AM delete

Mystical indeed!! I shot for the cover of Smile magazine in Lake Sebu years back and though we traveled a distance, it was worth the trip!! the lilies in bloom only in the mornings are beautiful! Plus I hope the T'boli culture may be preserved for generations to come! Great entry!

leo
April 2, 2011 at 8:33 PM delete

the 7 falls zip line is still the ride to beat.
Parang I wanted to go back to Lake Sebu again after reading your post. Nice one. Love the photos.

April 2, 2011 at 8:53 PM delete

ZehnRe - Yes! Soothingly GREEN! This is one the places in Mindanao i will truly recommend to my friends who love nature, culture and adventure!

April 2, 2011 at 8:57 PM delete

Lia Andrea Ramos - So sad didn't spend my time morning there. I wish I've seen those lilies that captured your heart. :) And same here, i wish T'boli culture well be preserved. It is one of the most colorful cultures I've seen. :) Thank you Lia for taking time to drop a comment. :) I enjoyed reading your travel blog too. :)

April 2, 2011 at 9:15 PM delete

@Leo - lake Sebu's Zipline is just crazy! Hahahaha. One of the best zip line ride i had so far. And like you, I want to come back to this haven some day and commune with nature and culture of of Lake Sebu. :)

April 2, 2011 at 11:16 PM delete

amazing how they preserved their culture and of course the environment. i hope the zipline did not damaged much the area.

April 3, 2011 at 8:45 AM delete

Many thanks for your amazing coverage of Lake Sebu. The Green behind the goldmine... I fell in-love with the place, the first time I set my eyes on it, even bought my piece of paradise, you will love it too. The serenity of beautiful Lake Sebu, provides a complete contrast to the incessant daily noise and never ending demands on our time. To all kababayans and Tourist out there, you can spoil yourself and your family, escape for a while and enjoy the peace and beauty of this wonderful place Lake Sebu... God's gift to humanity...

April 3, 2011 at 3:48 PM delete

Great post. I hope there will be more participants on the next SEX tour so they too can enjoy the beauty of SocSarGen. Regards!

pjohn
April 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM delete

nice job and very nice blog! enchantingly beautiful

April 3, 2011 at 7:20 PM delete

@ DONG HO - Like you, I am all praises for the preservation of their culture and the nature that surrounds them. I guess, the zipline did not damage the natural beauty of Lake Sebu, instead, it added a new and exciting way to appreciate its Seven Falls.

April 3, 2011 at 7:22 PM delete

@ ANONYMOUS - thank you for appreciating my work. I am also thankful for the chance to see Lake Sebu for the second time again. Your twon is so blessed with natural beauty, rich culture and beautiful people that really need to be preserved,not just today but for the years to come. Thank you again and Mabuhay ang Lake Sebu. :)

April 3, 2011 at 7:24 PM delete

@ KIM AND MJ - i am planning to go back there and spend a two or two. I will definitely tag you guys along. :)

April 3, 2011 at 7:25 PM delete

@ LAURENCE - I hope so too Laurence. Avel and the rest of Sox Bloggers are really great help in promoting our amazing SocCKSSargen region. :) Thank you again for the warm welcome. :)

April 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM delete

@ PH John - Thank you so much for all the support and hope to be back here soon with you! :)

pjohn
April 4, 2011 at 9:54 AM delete

wow.......as always

April 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM delete

tantalizingly mystical. I haven't been to lake sebu and i'm wondering why. can you actually swim in the stream of T'daan Kini?

April 5, 2011 at 7:34 PM delete

@ PEARL - The Seven falls are actually not suitable for swimming. BUT T'DAAN KINI is. Here, can swimming with its very cold stream fresh water.

June 28, 2011 at 7:16 AM delete

I'm glad more travel bloggers are discovering the wonders of the province I call my home away from home. Do visit Balben Family Cove on your next visit! :)

April 27, 2012 at 3:17 PM delete

The Sleeping Dragon
Sta. Maria, Davao Del Sur .< in what particular place in davao del sur?

July 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM delete

We made a short narrative film on the Tinalak weaving for the 2012 Louis Vuitton festival. unfortunately our film wasn't accepted as a finalist.

We hope though, with your help, can still use this film as a tool for your marketing campaigns particularly in tourism promotion in South Cotabato.

Hope you can like and share our film page: www.facebook.com/thedreamweaverfilm for updates.

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_ukE8AWx7w&feature=youtu.be
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/45344682

Thank you! Let's promote Philippine tourism at its best. :)

June 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM delete

This is the good step you have taken. Thanks for writing this, its clear you have spent a good amount of time on your sites development. I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I wanted to thank you for this great work.