MY HOMETOWN CATEEL

“I'm going home to the place where I belong
where your love has always been enough for me
I'm running from you know I think
you got me all wrong
I don't regret this life I chose for me
But these places and th
ese faces are getting old
So I'm going home.”
I get emotional whenever I hear Chris Daughtry soulful rendition of his song “Home”. It reminded me literally of my hometown Cateel in the province Davao Oriental. Away from the city where I am now but remains so near in my heart! As a saying goes, there's no place like home, we always go back to our roots. Like those folks availing Cheap Holidays to Egypt just to be home, a home sweet home is incomparable.

Yes, I am a certified Probinsyano - by blood and by heart. With head erect, I take pride of that.I grew up in the charming town of Cateel in the beautiful province of Davao Oriental. My hometown lies at the very mouth of the Great Pacific Ocean and belongs to the easternmost part of the province. It is where I was born and raised. It is where I spent my whole childhood days - my most cherished childhood years. It is where I first learned to love the best thing that I often do now - WANDERING.
Yes, my hometown Cateel is a place of wonder. Name it - waterfalls, beaches, mountains, caves, rivers, mangroves and many other wonderful places to see and experience that a true Wanderer would love to explore.Being situated at the very mouth of the great Pacific Ocean, Cateel Bay is one of the most memorable places for me in my town. It is where I first learned how to swim and learned to battle the huge ravaging Pacific waves. Simply put, it is where I learned to love all about the beaches - the sea, the sand and the sun. Being at the open seas, its huge waves are amazingly captivating enticing ocean lovers to experience its thrill. I myself had so many memories beach-combing at it.
Today, my undying fascination for beaches traces its roots during my childhood days at our simple yet alluring Cateel Bay.

Growing up in a town used to be 10 hours away from the Big City, I contented myself with rural pleasures only my hometown Cateel can give. Rice farming is one of the main sources of living in my town. My parents taught me the value of this agriculture. So as kids
, we're taught to come to the farm and learn the basics of rice planting. Hence, our rice fields became a huge playground for me and my siblings. The muddy pilapil, the little farm hill, the pili tree and the fruit bearing mango trees are things that until now I still would love to visit. These are undeniably unforgettable.
My hometown Cateel is the home of the country's highest waterfalls - the exotic Aliwagwag Falls. It is a towering waterfalls regarded as one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Mindanao with a series of 84 falls appearing like a Stairway to Heaven. Its magnificent beauty and mighty splendor is my hometown's true pride and honor. Not because it is the country's highest waterfalls but because of it unique formation that is beyond compare.
But Aliwagwag Falls is just among the many waterfalls Cateel boasts about. During high schools days, me and classmates explored our very first waterfalls experience at Danog Falls. It was not as grandiose as Aliwagwag Falls but its allure made that trip unforgettable until today. I wish I could go back there again. But to name a few, Mantunao Eco Park (Tres Marias Waterfalls) and Maboyong Falls are must visit destinations while in my hometown. With this majestic natural wonders present in Cateel, my love for adventure flourished. Exploring these places became my passion.Furthermore, Cateel River is considered one of the cleanest rivers in Mindanao. We took pride of that for receiving various citations for such. Spelunking the virgin caves of Cateel is also a must try. Some say that stalactites and stalagmites formations at Langyawan Cave are truly unique and one of its kind. I haven't explored these Caves yet for some reasons but various admiration from experts conclude that indeed Caves in Cateel are worth exploring.

At the town proper, my hometown takes pride of the Cateel Centennial Park. It was inaugurated in the year 2003 in celebration of the 100 years Founding Anniversary of our town. It used to be the old Town Plaza which homed the tallest monument of Rizal in Davao Region and the very famous well loved Fountain. Kids during my age would agree the significance of these places during our younger years. It was a huge part of our childhood lives.
Today, Cateel Centennial Park is remarkably a great tribute to Cateel's rich history and diverse culture. It is a grand showcase of Cateel's best.
MOST OF ALL, if there is one thing that made me think about my hometown Cateel - that would be real meaning of "Home Sweet Home". A life where there's no pressure, less worries and laid back. Being raised in a rural place like such, there are moment when things get rough at where I am now, when times seem to be very fast, when I see the need to pause, I often think a place where there is solace and there is tranquility - i think of home, i think of Cateel.

Truly, there is a probinsyano in me that until now it says, "Wherever I may go, there's one place I will always long to be at, and that is HOME!"

“I'm going home to the place where I belong
where your love has always been enough for me
I'm running from you know I think you got me all wrong
I don't regret this life I chose for me
But these places and these faces are getting old
So I'm going home.”

HOW TO GET THERE:

The best way to get to Cateel is by taking a Bus from Davao City via the Compostela Valley Road or Mati City Road. Buses are on daily schedule located at Davao City Overland Transport Terminal (DCOTT). These buses are operated by Mallen Express, Lyra Express, Floremel Express and Bachelor Express.

March 9, 2011 at 2:10 PM delete

grrr makaguba og self-esteem ning landscape nimo lan oi. pila man ko nagakuha. di man ing ana ang gawas. yatis oi ^.^

March 9, 2011 at 2:24 PM delete

@ Leah Valle - Hahaha. :) Thank you so much Maam. :) ikaw naman ang reyna ng Portraiture kaya TABLA TABLA ra ta diri.. :) thanks for dropping by. :)

March 9, 2011 at 2:25 PM delete

There's no place like home...
great job, Padz.

March 9, 2011 at 2:29 PM delete

@ Esther - Thank you so much Madz for taking time reading this post about our dear hometown. :)

leo
March 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM delete

Hala lami lagi musuroy diri...

March 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM delete

haha naalala ko ang album mu neto sa facebook kase isa yun sa mga paborito ko, tagal na yun ah, now mu lng na-blog? hehe kala ko ako lng super magka-backlog sa PTB, madame pala tau. hihi keep the post coming! :)isunod na ang KK at Brunei! ;)

March 9, 2011 at 6:14 PM delete

@ LEO - tara Le. :) laag ta. :) mag-adto kog Samal this weekend. :)

March 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM delete

@ Pinay Solo Backpacker - Hahaha. Ang dami dami ko na tlganag backlog Gael. Hahaha. Sinisimulan ko ng gumawa ng posts. Hahaha. Sige, isususnod ko na ang KK at Brunei. :) Thanks Gael. :)

bux
March 9, 2011 at 10:09 PM delete

hayyy, mingawon man gayud kita sang kanato lugar. Labina gayud kung ama sin-i na pagka-feature...good pictures and landscape...dugangan pa gayud ng good food(??) and good people. Dapat gayud bisan yag ugmad kita sang lain na lugar...mo-igmaw kita panagsa.
I love it Lan!!! Great job!

Ed
March 10, 2011 at 12:04 AM delete

awesome post olan! makes me want to head to your place ASAP! very cool photos too! galing talaga! I suddenly miss Davao now and childhood.

March 10, 2011 at 12:25 PM delete

@ BUX - Salamatay Bux. There no place like home. Agaw, maski uno uno ka-busy ng life, ag gayud ako muuli ngadto kanato para bisatahun yang kaguapa ng kanato lungsod. Salamat.

March 10, 2011 at 12:26 PM delete

@ Ed - Thanks Ed. :) Sa susunod na bisita ka ng Davao, sama ka akin... Punta tayo Davao Oriental. :)

March 11, 2011 at 8:59 PM delete

if there would be one province na gusto ko balikan, it would be Davao... at makapunta sa Davao Oriental... nice blog sir!

March 12, 2011 at 12:58 PM delete

madayaway ngeni na ehimo mo mo pre... maski ako na gabasa, proud na proud ng kanato lugar... keep it up...

March 14, 2011 at 3:11 PM delete

Pinoy Adventurista - Thanks you. Yeah, Davao and Davao Provinces is certainly worth visiting. :) Hope one day you could also come and visit our Province.

merwin
March 20, 2011 at 11:20 PM delete

great post lan, congrats ... malimiay ing sayom sang tubig.. hehe

myk
November 8, 2011 at 7:33 PM delete

....almost perfect olan...jeje Cateel Centenial Park is best dedicated by the Former Congw. now The Provincial Governor of Davao Oriental Hon. Corazon N. Malanyaon to the People of Cateel... it is where we can truly commune with nature....madayaw na isa kw sng mga Catel-anon na ga promote positively of what our town can offer.... jst always include and honor the men and women behind the making.....

November 9, 2011 at 1:29 AM delete

I could feel how proud you are of your hometown. Indeed, I believe Cateel is a beautiful paradise worth admiring. I'll make sure to include it in my February itinerary. I'm excited!

November 9, 2011 at 2:05 PM delete

@ MYK - thank you for your comment... no need to honor the men and women behind the making because the beauty of one place speaks for themselves. only when needed though!

Gary Galarrita
November 16, 2011 at 7:04 PM delete

Nice Blog about Cateel

January 22, 2012 at 4:45 PM delete

olan kanino ngiyang bay na bagasay na pawud yang atop? di da ko sa yaan maidentify ngadi kanato duon daw kanino ngiyan na bay....bagas da man gud kabag-uhan ng cateel duon..cool blog about our place.....nice shots!!!!

October 1, 2012 at 3:21 PM delete

Hi Olan. How many hours by bus from Davao City to Cateel? And from Cateel, how do I get to Bislig? Thanks in advance.

November 10, 2017 at 3:22 PM delete

I know there will be many difficulties and challenges but I am determined to do it. If it does not succeed then it will be a lesson for me as well