THE ENCHANTED RIVER: The Pride of Hinatuan

From Tinuy-an Falls of Bislig City, this blogger explored more the beauty of the Province of Surigao del Sur. Remarkably, it is bursting with great surprises for all outdoor enthusiasts like me. But amongst these surprises, the Enchanted River is the top of my list. Until now, it still amazes me.

The Enchanted River is hidden in Barangay Talisay, 30-45 minutes ride from the town proper of the Municipality of Hinatuan in the province of Surigao Del Sur.

Getting there, we passed through a lengthy narrow trail of thick foliage that led us to area that faces a mountain wall. Below that area, nestles incredibly blue water that at first glance looks like a reflection of the sky. But what’s so interesting is that the River is indeed blue in color.

Getting close to the River facing a mountainside of tropical forest, to the left, there is a tiny cavern with a very low hole where I had the chance to get inside. To the right, waters flow liberally through the abundant mangroves that goes straight to the Pacific Seas on the other side of the mountain – it is for this reason why the Enchanted River possesses a mysterious blue color that no river naturally have.

The Enchanted River is renowned to be so deep that divers have yet to explore what’s underneath and what’s beyond its unfathomable depth. More than anything else, it is the crystal clear waters of the River that seems to be so enchanting. The hue and transparent-like beauty charms one to take a quick dip but once you’re in the cool, clear waters, you don’t want to come out.

When I first heard the name Enchanted River, my first question was, “Why enchanted?”

According to local folks, the River is full of rich marine fishes of different varieties and of huge shapes swimming in the deep blue waters but no one is said to have ever caught one - not by hand or by spear. Hearsay has it; the River is guarded by spirits making it still a beautiful place until now.

The depth of the Enchanted River is said to unfathomable. No one has ever measured the accurate depth of the river that makes it so enchanting and profound to explain. I had the chance to take a glimpse of the underwater using goggle and my jaw dropped in awe as I saw something I’ve never seen in my whole life. I may sound weird but I think I’ve seen the real “ABYSS” in there. So spectacular. So amazing. So enchanting.

Exploring Enchanted River for me was a real new experience. There was a peaceful feeling as I dip myself in those cool waters of the river. I felt good and I felt so close to nature and its Creator. The beauty and the splendor of the Enchanted River are beyond my adjectives. Something I wish to describe more. But one thing for sure I know, it is indeed so enchanting. And I must say I am enchanted by the River.

Indeed, this is one of the places I would certainly go back and will never be tired of savoring its beauty and uniqueness. After all, it is an ENCHANTING RIVER.

HOW TO GET THERE:

The Municipality of Hinatuan can be reached by land from Davao City in an estimated 7 hours and from Bislig City in less than 2 hours.

February 26, 2010 at 1:58 PM delete

Super enchanting! Clear water! Very inviting! Must go there soon!

The Adventure Seeker
February 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM delete

This is really superb. I want to experience this over and over again! Looking at it now, it is really enchanting. I am tempted to go there. Thanks for sharing and keep up your good job. You inspire us to travel and explore places that have never been known to all. For that i thank you. Hope to meet you in person in one of your journey! Sail on Voyager!

February 26, 2010 at 5:03 PM delete

@ Aethan - Thanks Tan... Im sure mag-eenjoy kayo dito and for sure mamamangha kayo sa ganda at halina ng tubig. Believe me, nothing but praises and amazements ang nafeel ko while i was here. :)

@ The Adventure Seeker - Thank you for your heartwarming comments. It made realized that there is purpose beyond just blogging. And that is to share with you my humble journeys and enjoy the beauty of it. Many thanks. :)

March 1, 2010 at 12:53 AM delete

swimming at the river was one of my childhood weekend pastime, thanks for bringing back the good old times memories jejeje.

March 1, 2010 at 11:12 AM delete

@ Enhenyero - Thanks... I do that too durinbg my childhood days but most of the time sa mga beaches since i grew up in a coastal town. :)

March 8, 2010 at 2:44 PM delete

already enchanting on the photos, i wonder how it would be like to see it up close! sigh, i gotta go to mindanao soon!

March 8, 2010 at 4:50 PM delete

@ Pinay Travel Junkie - You really should. There are actually plenty of places you need to discover here in Mindanao. For travel junkie like you, our Island Mindanao i a must visit. :)

March 19, 2010 at 12:22 AM delete

wow! sobrang thank you for sharing the place... sana lang hindi siya mapabayaan at ma-exploit. sa mga bibisita, sana maging responsableng turista sila. :)

April 29, 2010 at 6:11 PM delete

ang linaw ng water, isama mo din ako dyan :-)

April 29, 2010 at 6:13 PM delete

ang linaw ng water, isama mo din ako dyan pls :-)

September 30, 2010 at 3:38 PM delete

the hinatuan head spring is certainly deep-- our exploration early this year yielded interesting results-- check out our report at this link:

January 29, 2011 at 8:42 AM delete

grabe sobra ka ganda naman yan sana lahat ng ilog sa pinas napreserve ng ganyan

May 24, 2011 at 9:18 AM delete

wow, ang ganda! enchanting talaga. More reasons to plan a travel to Surigao :)

September 18, 2011 at 12:54 PM delete

I want an underwater picture there too...kakainggit.

July 30, 2012 at 2:23 PM delete

hello food afternoon .. . this is mr. arjune lumayno of st. paul university surigao. . . i am planning to have an educational trip with my environmental science students in enchanted river on september, unfortunately i don't have any persons whom i can contact with to help me in the safety and security in the place. i wanted also to ask assistance from the lgu of hinatuan to accompany my class in the area. , , i hope you can read this mesage and help me in my concern sir , , here's my contact no. 09096295980. . . hope you can help me , , thank you very much

April 2, 2013 at 1:49 AM delete

Hi, thanks for sharing the photos, really it is so wondefull. my concern is the area how safe we are in there. I love to go there at kasama ko foreigner kung asawa at anak niyang babae..at nag alangan ako sa security nila..(hope you know what I mean)..gag